Friday, September 6, 2019

Chemo #4 Down

Here's me pre-chemo in our kitchen!!  

A day late because I slept almost all day yesterday. Woke up to look at my boys' assignment notebooks and do nightly reading with them (my personal favorite activity).

Happy to say that I feel pretty good (just tired) today. Having a busy, real life helps so much.

Interesting points from yesterday:

1. It was busy in the chemo room yesterday. I have a 'favorite' chair, but it was taken...so I moved over the 'old boys' section. This is the corner where three older gentlemen get chemo and basically hang out with each other. All that was missing was a pack of cards. They are funny and loud and they had a long discussion on their hair falling out. "My head was like a baby's bottom," one man mentioned. "It was nice not shaving," was also funny. They all had hair regrowth at this point, though, so I think they have been at this awhile. And I was amazed at how the worst of things can bond strangers together. And it was nice.

2. I learned that my cold sensitivity is NOT neuropathy. Cold sensitivity is just a side effect that will wear off. Neuropathy is a long term side effect where my fingers or toes will feel numb (that "fallen asleep" feeling) all of the time. Some people have it in their legs as well. Dr NP was telling me it's a positive thing that I've had few authentic neuropathy feelings, which could be a good sign long term. I'll take it.

3. I got my biopsy genome testing result. Cancer science fun-fact (😜) that every cancer has genetic and hormone related differences that are very important when it comes to treatment.  They can also be very different among cancers (even if they occur on the same genes). Trust me, it's WAY MORE confusing than even that confusing sentence sounds. Basically, treatment going forward will be guided by my results. Treatment trials, immunotherapy chances, prognosis (if I'll live a long time or not) may be based on these results. Three important results of my testing (for the researchers out there):

  • I have the BRAF  D594 mutation (NOT the V600e) - 5-10% of people with colon cancer have the BRAF mutation. IT IS VERY LINKED TO HEREDITY (hint for my family). It's mostly found in women (yeah!) and older patients (not me) and rectal cancers. The good news from this is the little D594 has much better prognosis that the V600e.  Dr NP said, "This is OK." Not a cause for jubilation, but workable according to her. 
  • I do not have KRAS or NRAS mutations - this is very good. I am considered "wild-type" (but we all knew that ) ha. ha. 
  • There are A LOT of drug trials out there for all of this, especially in younger patients (or those who are overall healthy). That sentence makes me wish I was having a beer and pizza right now...that'd be way more fun. 
4. I will have my PET scan, to see how everything is working, on Sept. 12 at 1pm. **prayers appreciated** 

My only bummer news is that Dr. NP said to assume 4 more chemo treatments, even if my scans are amazing. The normal course of treatment is around 12 rounds of chemo (just found this out) but, like everything, all plans are basically "scan to scan." We (Dr NP, Shawn and I) all decide as we go and as we see things working or not working. 

I'm just not a very patient person, honestly. But it looks like I'm in this for a while. 

Yesterday was St. Mother Teresa's (not her official name, but whatever) Feast Day and she is incredibly special to me. I have always adored Mother Teresa. And my mom was given a special message from her yesterday...so I wanted to post some of my favorite quotes from Mother below. I especially love Mother's idea that the Western world poverty of loneliness is so much harder to heal that the Developing world's monetary poverty. We are called to SEE people, to HEAR them, to KNOW them. Sometimes, that it so much harder than fishing out a dollar bill. I would like to stay alive so that I can love more people like this...




No comments:

Post a Comment