Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Back to School

Hope you had a fabulous Labor Day weekend.

Just a quick post to say all is well here. I'm 12 days since my last chemo, so I feel almost normal.

Because we're true creatures of habit, we headed to the cabin for the long weekend. We were so happy to spend some time with Heather, Mark and Paige...Cory, Sally and the babes...Nancy and Dan. It was a busy weekend for sure. So many changes (new houses! back to gymnastics!) so much news and time to talk. So proud that we only cried once!

I am truly grateful to God that - by Sunday - the awful "fiberglass feeling" when touching anything cold had gone away. I could taste food and my toes didn't feel constantly cold and strange. What a WONDER that real, actual health is. Just our working bodies are miracles.

Today, C and H began their careers at a new school.




Change is hard, but good. The house has been so quiet since they all left. A mom asked me (at drop off) if I had to send them back because of the diagnosis (we homeschooled for the last year). I am amazed at the goodness of God because it was made pretty clear that the boys should return to school at the very end of last school year. We had all discussed it and the boys new the plan. I wasn't diagnosed until late June, so school wasn't something pressed onto them by cancer. It's more like the homeschooling year was just a nice reprieve where we were able to spend a lot of time getting to know each other. I am very confident about the types of learners they all are and what they need. I'm not sure they learned anything super valuable (except from their math tutors - not me - who kept them at grade level). I learned a lot about them and myself. With my whole heart I would encourage anyone to take (at least) a year and homeschool your kids. Or at least spend a lot of time with them.  Get to know them while they want to be known. It doesn't have to last forever. But, I can't say I haven't asked God, "Is that why we had that year? So we'd have a year totally together?" If it turns out that way, I'll always be grateful. Knowing my kids and having them know me is probably one of only 3 things on my bucket list. 

On that same note, I just heard that the youngest brother [of a very special family that I taught in California (years ago)] has had a tragic swimming accident and is on life-support. Andrew (AJ), is 28 and was just enjoying the weekend with his extended family when they found him unresponsive in the pool. Please pray for AJ and his family today. And love those people around you. 

Jesus, I trust in You. Salve, Regina. 

No comments:

Post a Comment