Tuesday, August 20, 2019

The Kesslers (part 1)

Thirty one years ago, I met this woman in the first week of college at Franciscan University of Steubenville in Ohio. Around six months later, we both met the man who would be her husband (at the same school). Eleven years later, I met Shawn and we would all joke that he had gone to Steubenville with them instead of me because he fit in so well.  We have travelled the globe (a small part of it, at least) together. But, somehow, we always end up sitting around a table talking (I have the pictures to prove it). Everything is better with them.

These are two of our very best friends. And when they heard about my cancer, they came.
Betsy was one of the first people I told about my diagnosis, and she immediately sent this: 
 (See why we're friends?)
 Their youngest is D's age, so he came with them as well. Which made our boys VERY happy. 
 Of course we took them to the cabin

 We had to show them the beautiful 11-mile canyon

Even though my sister-in-law is about the same age as our friendship ;), we had SO MUCH fun with her, Shawn's brother,
 and my perfect niece and nephew.


Shawn lost a bet and had to wear this poncho for the evening. He was lucky not to have to wear the pink UGGS that we originally part of the deal.

It breaks my heart that people are so lonely these days. I am always sad when people do not feel like they have a place they fit. I have definitely felt that and especially as a young woman. Thirty-one years ago, I begrudgingly let God lead me to a tiny (relatively unknown) University and he sent me someone who is closer than a sister to me. Letting go gave me so much - gave my husband and sons so much. How could I not trust that letting go now will bring even more?

Because I sobbed like a baby when they left...even after all of this time of living a country apart.

Jesus, I trust in You. 

No comments:

Post a Comment