Thursday, August 1, 2019

Alphonsus Liguori

Today, I'm simply thankful that I have a week's reprieve from a chemotherapy treatment. I will have my next cycle starting on Aug. 8th and then every other Thursday until the beginning of September. In terms of health, I feel pretty good. The similarity to a rough first trimester of pregnancy continues. I am amazed at how tired I feel after 3:00pm every day. As someone whose life normally begins after 3:00pm, this is a big change for me.  And the bag continues to be...yucky and rough. It's not so much difficult as it is hard to live with. I promise I'm not trying to complain - just to let you know how I'm doing.

On another "crazy God note," a month ago, a friend lent us a 1st class relic of St Alphonsus Liguori. Eventually, this relic will be a part of the renovated Church our parish is planning. Currently, this piece of St Alphonsus sits on my night stand and I touch it quickly before bed (and honestly don't really say or think anything. Just hope). I will say that I'm not much of a relic person and I am respectful but don't give them much thought in general. I was touched by the prayerful thought of my friend and her family.

So, I was surprised this morning when I had an overwhelming push to go to Church. I just woke up and knew I needed to go to daily Mass. We do try to go everyday, but our summer is like your summer, and life can get in the way sometimes...but today there was no question. I kissed Shawn good-bye and was a little late to our local Church.

Imagine my shock when I get there and Father J says, "Today is the Feast of St Alphonsus Liguori." I didn't know anything about him. I wasn't as excited about his relic as I probably should have been. But in an instant, I knew he wanted me there. I knew he was praying for me, this holy man from the late 16/early 1700's. I can't explain what it was like to feel he was there with me, like a friend from 400 or so years ago. A brother who cared about me even though I knew nothing about him.

So, student that I am, I looked him up:

St Alphonsus Liguori (1696 - 1787)
He was the oldest of 8 kids in a noble family; became a lawyer. At 27, he decided to become a priest. He ministered to homeless and marginalized youth. He founded the Redemptorists, who preach in city slums. He had a large heart for the poor and the most abandoned. He loved music, painting, poetry and writing. He is especially known for his clear writing on prayer, love and his relationship with Christ. He is considered a great master of the interior life and a Doctor of the Church.

I feel like I've found a new friend who loves all of the things I love. And I know without a doubt that he is praying for my healing. That I have an intercessor who found me.


No comments:

Post a Comment