Monday, November 11, 2019

"Heaven is For Real"


Last night, H and I watched the tail-end of a movie called, "Heaven is for Real." It's the true story of a little boy named Colton Burpo who comes out of a serious operation (where he nearly died) where Colton matter of factly says that he went to heaven and spent time with Jesus before he came back. Now, Colton is 4 at the time, so everyone is pretty skeptical until Colton also explains that he met his Great-grandfather (who died before he was born) and a little girl who said she was his sister who "died in their mommy's tummy" (but Colton didn't know his mother had experienced a miscarriage and no one knew it had been a girl). Colton is very matter of fact about the entire thing and very insistent that it happened. Something I found really interesting is that Colton says none of the pictures he's seen of Jesus really look like him. Colton only affirms a picture of Jesus that is a painting that an 8 year old girl raised in an agnostic home painted after she told her (completely non-believing) mother that she was having regular meetings with the subject of her paintings:


Both of the stories are fascinating but -- obviously -- up to personal opinion whether to be believed or not.

I read the book about Colton a few years ago (I think when it came out) and what struck me the most is how beautiful Colton's description of heaven was and is (he's a normal teenager now but regularly speaks on how he can recall everything the way it happened). He was just a little boy who talked about heaven being beautiful and "rainbow colored" - that everyone was young and "no body wears glasses in heaven" (which I found funny for some reason).

I have to say that I got a little teary watching the movie because I think a lot about heaven these days and even though I believe I will be healed from the cancer, I never pray not to die. I truly believe that heaven is the place where I am called to live forever...having cancer reminds me of that in a very physical way. I have come (after these last months of praying and trusting) to authentically believe that heaven will be better than here, so I am peaceful if God asks me to go sooner than I expected. But I stand on John 10:10 that "A thief comes only to steal and slaughter and destroy (the devil); I (Jesus) came so that they might have life and have it more abundantly (or "to the full" some Bibles say)." I don't think I'm full yet. I think living through all of this actually has shown me how much more I am called to do.

Here is just a quick excerpt of some of the things Colton said he saw...but my favorite is the last statement:

“Jesus and some angels came and flew me up to heaven.”
Todd asked Colton, “What did Jesus look like?
Colton remembered, “I knew that the first person I saw was Jesus. He was wearing white robes with a purple sash and He just came down nicely and gracefully.”
Colton continued to talk about Jesus having "markers," so eventually Todd had to ask what he meant by "markers?"
"He drops his toys down, stands up and just points," says Todd. "'Dad, they are right here.' And he takes his fingers and points to the palms then he bends down and touches the tops of his feet, and looks up at me. 'That’s where Jesus’s markers were Dad.'"
"I was in the throne room of God to start with," says Colton. "So I got to see what that looked like. I was upset because I didn’t know what was happening. What God did was He used people or things that I liked to calm me down. From then on I felt better."

I learned heaven is for real and you're going to like it," says Colton. 

That's about it except to say that I am feeling good these last few days. Insurance is resisting paying for my getting new scans "so close" to the last scan (it was 8 weeks ago), so I definitely have chemo #9 this Thursday. But we are pushing for scans next week for a better prognosis. All is well and I am having some fun cooking and doing laundry. C & H had a lovely Veterans' Day service at school today (C recited the Gettysburg address with his class) and D is beginning to shadow at his top High School choices (ugh!). It's snowing today but forecast is 60's tomorrow! lovely fall in Colorado!

 8th grade Geometry is no joke. Call in the engineer for help!! :) 
C & H's principal speaking at the assembly - there were many veterans represented. I cried, of course. I always cry when it comes to service men and women. We are so grateful. 


No comments:

Post a Comment