Tuesday, November 19, 2019

Lourdes

Today I am 5 days out of chemo and, for the first time, I feel really good 5 days later and have great energy to get things done. Maybe it's the amazing messages and texts and visits I received these past three days that have really helped. Maybe I'm getting better. I choose to believe both.

Maybe it's the Hallmark Christmas movies (ha ha - that's for my friend, MBU).
 MBU showed up with "butter braids" of yummy goodness yesterday. Yes, we've already eaten one for breakfast. We didn't know about this holiday treat but we're addicted!!
 Shawn makes sure that something that "grew from the ground" is on every plate of mine and the boys. ("On the negative 34th day of Christmas, my true love gave to me - a butter braid and a pear") I hope the fruit cancels out the sugar.
 I had a lot of plans to get things done yesterday, so - of course - someone had to come home from school with a sprained ankle. It wasn't swollen, wasn't warm, didn't look hurt - but I knew that #2 (C) feels love when he is taken care of dramatically....so I ignored the ridiculous co-pay and took him to urgent care.
This is a picture of a perfectly healthy ankle, FYI. 

We left with a $50 ankle brace (co-pay) and stories for C to tell at school about his basketball "injury." I have to say that sometimes irrational care-taking is totally worth it. C's cup is very full today and it only took 2 hours of my time to show him I would go to stupid lengths to make sure he's healthy.  I like to believe that God loves me like this. He makes "all things new" for me every day completely out of love. He sits with me every day just to fill my heart. It was a totally crazy act of love on my part but made me really happy yesterday.


This morning, I've spent most of the morning filling out an application to the Order of Malta because I was recommended for a trip to Lourdes, France in April. [Oh, there's going to be a lot of Catholic explaining with this one...]

First, the Order of Malta:

The Sovereign Order of Malta is one of the oldest institutions of Western and Christian civilisation. A lay religious order of the Catholic Church since 1113 and a subject of international law, the Sovereign Order of Malta has diplomatic relations with over 100 states and the European Union, and permanent observer status at the United Nations. It is neutral, impartial and apolitical.
Today, the Order of Malta is active in 120 countries caring for people in need through its medical, social and humanitarian works. Day-to-day, its broad spectrum of social projects provides a constant support for forgotten or excluded members of society.
It is especially involved in helping people living in the midst of armed conflicts and natural disasters by providing medical assistance, caring for refugees, and distributing medicines and basic equipment for survival.
One of the things The Order does is bring sick people to Lourdes, France for a pilgrimage for healing.
Why Lourdes?

In 1858 in the grotto of Massabielle, near Lourdes, France, the Blessed Virgin Mary appeared 18 times to Bernadette Soubirous, a 14 year old peasant girl. Mary identified herself as The Immaculate Conception. She gave Bernadette a message for all: "Pray and do penance for the conversion of the world." The Church investigated Bernadette's claims for four years before approving devotion to Our Lady of Lourdes. Lourdes has since become one of the most famous shrines, attracting more than a million pilgrims each year. There have been thousands of miraculous cures at this shrine.
When Mary appeared to Bernadette, Mary told her to start digging for the miraculous waters. There was only mud, but Bernadette dug and from that came a spring of water that is still there (and large) today. There is a lot of information about Lourdes on the internet. Here is a small link: Lourdes
There is also a relatively famous movie titled, "The Song of Bernadette" that recounts the entire story.

I have two dear friends who wrote to the order and asked if they would take me on their next pilgrimage (in April). On the pilgrimage, the "malade" (sick person) is lowered into the waters that have been miraculously healing millions of people for years (one of the miracles).

One of the reasons I am most excited is that the Church Feast day of Our Lady of Lourdes is also my birthday, Feb. 11. So I have loved & trusted Our Lady and Bernadette for most of my life.

The application is due Friday and I'll let you know if they approve the trip. Shawn would also go with me and I'm going to beg and see if we could bring the boys along. It could be incredible.

No comments:

Post a Comment