Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Scan #4 results - Roadblock

My friend, Tom (a cancer survivor whom I've mentioned before), was very insistent with me that "cancer is a marathon, not a sprint." He told me to be ready for cancer to throw some curveballs and that it never seems to go the way we expect.  Also, this isn't a movie script, it's real life. And if there is one thing I know about real life it's that it can be both beautiful and hard at the same time.

My scan results were disappointing. Not the worst or devastating but you never want your oncologist to text and say, "They weren't good." That's exactly what happened on Monday. Dr NP responded to Shawn's text with, "They aren't good. Let's schedule a meeting."

I have been on a "break" from chemo for the last two months. I have been taking nothing but the repurposed drugs and waiting to see what happens. We knew that this is the period of testing and hoping...and Dr NP scheduled a scan so we could see what is happening.

Well...The little spots in my hip grew a bit and are taking up a lot more sugar (What the PET scan tests). They are "very active" according to Dr. NP. Also, one of the liver spots has "reactivated" and I have two new spots in my lungs. It threw us for a loop -- for sure -- and Dr NP was disappointed because normally a chemo break can be about 6 months with no growth. She explained that my body "responds really well to chemo but it's obviously a very aggressive cancer you have..." (not news, really and definitely not bad news overall).

The very positive information is that my rectal tumor is still 100% gone (which is weird to all of the doctors). The cancer is not growing back there...so I am still able to have surgery to reverse the bag. The surgery is still on for next week and Tuesday I will wake up and it will be a GREAT DAY if that bag is not hanging off of my stomach anymore. Quite honestly, the bag being removed will change my experience of chemotherapy. Taking a quick shower or hopping into the hot tub will be real possibilities. I continue to be totally grateful to God that, inexplicably, the main tumor site did not reveal any cancer and so I will be back to a closer form of myself before I begin another fight.

Right now, the plan is that I recover from surgery for a few weeks and then begin full-strength chemo for another 12 (-ish) rounds. I will be seeing a radiologist next week and I will have 10 planned rounds of radiation on my hip so that the bone doesn't break or disintegrate. I will have more info on the radiation after meeting with this new doctor. I will be having radiation during the chemo and I'll be sure to detail this process as it begins.

My only request is that everyone would pray. I am still in both great spirits and I feel pretty good. The only pain I have is in my hip (bone pain is no joke) but my cancer remains very small and not widespread. Please pray that my body continues to respond to the chemo well and can be "wiped out" again with the help of the radiation.

If you remember, I am praying for the intercession of Bridgey Sullivan for my healing and the anniversary of her passing is March 11. Her aunt (who is a religious sister) sent me this novena prayer and we will be and have been praying it for nine days. If you'd like to join us, I'm attaching it here:

Almighty Father, 
You have given the saints in heaven eternal happiness and they now live in the fullness of your glory. Because of their holy love for you, they also care about me and my family and friends. Thank you for the gift of their love, friendship and the witness of their holy lives. In particular, thank you for the gift of our little Bridget.  
Bridge, I ask you, who loved us so well during your earthly life, to intercede for Bridgette Grady and her complete healing.  
Father, we pray that You bless Bridgette with Your loving care, renew her strength, and heal her in the loving name of Your Son Our Lord Jesus Christ through Bridgey’s intercession.  Amen.

O Mary, conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee.



- Continuing to run my race. 
More tomorrow. 

1 comment:

  1. You continue to be in our prayers, along with the whole Grady team! Seeking the intercession of St Jude, St Peregrine, and all the saints

    ReplyDelete