Monday, June 24, 2019

Anointing of the Sick #1

I'll update a few times today - quick, short things.

I was given the anointing of the sick last night after Mass. Our Pastor, Father Javier, met the 5 of us in the little St. Joseph's chapel and Fr J prayed for healing and God's help in my surgery tomorrow. The "anointing" part is that Father made the sign of the Cross on my forehead and hands using the oil of healing blessed by the Bishop once a year on Holy Thursday.

It's because James 5:14 & 15: "Is anyone among you sick? He should summon the presbyters of the church and they should pray over him and anoint him with oil in the name of the Lord, and the prayer of faith will save the sick person, and the Lord will raise him up..."

Old timey people call this sacrament "Last Rites" because it used to be mostly for people about to die...but it's really the "anointing of the sick" and it's for anyone who is seriously ill and in need of healing (I'll take it). It is hoped that this will bring physical healing (as the touch of Jesus) but also that it brings spiritual healing, which I am hoping for mainly. I want to be patient and hopeful and unconditionally loving especially with Shawn and the boys. I want to be peaceful and miraculously kind while this all happens. And I want to stop thinking about myself all the time. And maybe that it's not entirely gross :)

More practical updates this afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment